The labour market changes that the Government has announced are relatively minor compared to the second part of their reforms.
They plan to massively strengthen the role of unions – even in industries where they have few members. Legislation is expected within the next 12 months.
- Industry wide pay settlements between the Government, unions and businesses.
- Minimum redundancy protection.
- Employment style conditions for many contractors.
- Abolish youth rates.
- Reduce flexibility of employment types.
- Will we see a return to national award bargaining?